It’s important to note that our pets cannot metabolize and tolerate certain foods like we can. Simple foods we wouldn’t think could harm our dogs, can be toxic and dangerous. Don’t risk your bestie’s precious life, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Here is a list of just some of the foods particularly around in the festive season, that you should avoid giving to your dog.
Anything with Sultanas or raisins
Sultanas and raisins can be found in lots of Christmas foods. They are toxic to your dog and can cause kidney failure. Beware of plum puddings and mince pies.
Whether cooked or raw, onions are toxic to dogs. Keep in mind gravy, stuffing and salads can contain onion.
Ham has a fatty richness which makes it taste yum, but it is difficult for your dog to digest. not to mention ham is usually very high in salt, which can cause serious stomach upset among other issues.
It could be a nice leg of lamb or a nice big turkey for lunch on Christmas day. Don’t leave it unattended or in reach of your dog.
Cooked bones can cause choking, and they easily splinter which can cause serious damage to your dog’s mouth, throat & insides.
Chocolate and Lollies
Many of yo would already aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but many lollies contain the artificial sweetener called xylitol which is highly toxic to dogs even in small amounts.
No dog can consume alcohol safely. They cannot metabolize alcohol and it can be quite dangerous and cause vomiting, weakness, lethargy, unsteadiness, organ failure – the list really does go on. Alcohol in any form should never be given to your beloved pooch.