Is Colloidal Silver Safe for Dogs?
Colloidal silver has gained popularity as a natural remedy for various health issues in both humans and pets in the past century. But is Colloidal Silver safe for dogs? Let’s first dive into understanding Colloidal Silver a little bit better.
What is Colloidal Silver?
Colloidal silver comprises minuscule silver particles suspended in a liquid medium. While its use as a potential remedy for various human ailments has a centuries-old history, recent interest has prompted some pet owners to explore its benefits for their dogs. Emerging studies suggest that colloidal silver may indeed offer natural treatment options for specific health issues in dogs.
How Does Colloidal Silver Work?
Think of colloidal silver as a superhero against bad microbes, like bacteria. Here’s how it battles them:
- Silver is sharp: Which allows the silvers tiny particles to act as little daggers. They poke holes in the bacterial cell walls and mess with their breathing (imagine blocking their noses).
- Silver is sneaky: Silver ions can sneak inside the bacterial cells and create healthy chaos, making their way into your dogs metabolic pathways.
- DNA Disruption: Once inside, silver has been said it may mess with the bacterial DNA and how they replicate.
- Colloidal silver may also defeat bacterial bodyguards called biofilms. These biofilms protect bacteria, but silver kicks them out, leaving the bacteria exposed and vulnerable.
So how can it naturally benefit your dog’s health?
Colloidal silver is widely known for its possible, powerful antibacterial properties. When administered responsibly, it may support fighting off bacterial infections in dogs. This natural remedy may be particularly useful for minor skin irritations, cuts, and scrapes. It may help provide additional assistance of protection against harmful bacteria, promoting faster healing.
Inflammation is a common issue in dogs, whether due to injury, allergies, or underlying health conditions. Colloidal silver may offer relief by reducing inflammation. This can be especially beneficial for dogs with arthritis, joint problems, or skin allergies.
Immune System Support
Maintaining a healthy immune system is crucial for your dog’s overall well-being. Colloidal silver is believed to boost the immune system, possibly helping your pet ward off infections more effectively. This can be particularly beneficial for senior dogs or those with weakened immune systems.
Colloidal silver can be a valuable addition to your canine first-aid kit. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it a suitable, natural choice for cleaning and treating wounds. By applying colloidal silver to wounds, it may reduce the risk of infection and promote faster healing.
Ear infections are a common concern in dogs, especially breeds with floppy ears. Colloidal silver, when used appropriately and under the guidance of a holistic veterinarian, can help address ear infections. It has mild antimicrobial properties that can aid in soothing ear issues.
Grab a bottle of our Colloidal Silver for Pets and please keep up updated and let us know if it has helped your pets condition.
While colloidal silver offers several potential benefits for dogs, it’s essential to use it responsibly and consult with a veterinarian before incorporating it into your pet’s health care regimen. When used correctly, colloidal silver can be a safe and effective complementary support for various canine health concerns.
***Please note that the information provided in this blog is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult with a qualified holistic practitioner or pet healthcare provider for personalised guidance regarding your pet’s specific needs and health concerns. The use of any suggestions from this blog is at your own discretion and risk.
- Medici, S., Peana, M., Nurchi, V. M., & Zoroddu, M. A. (2019). Medical uses of silver: history, myths, and scientific evidence. Journal of medicinal chemistry, 62(13), 5923-5943.
- Henriques, J. (2022, January 8). Colloidal silver for dogs: Is it safe?. Dogs Naturally. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/colloidal-silver-for-dogs/
- Sim, W., Barnard, R. T., Blaskovich, M. A. T., & Ziora, Z. M. (2018, October 26). Antimicrobial silver in medicinal and consumer applications: A patent review of the Past Decade (2007−2017). Antibiotics (Basel, Switzerland). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315945/
- ‘Drugs urgently needed to fight ‘antibiotic resistant’ superbugs: WHO 28/02/2017.Available: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/02/28/drugs-urgently-needed-fight- antibiotic resistant-superbugs-who